We are thrilled to present Sex With Strangers through April 30th to conclude this season’s Fielding Studio Series! An intimate play about two writers who get snowed in on a retreat, Sex With Strangers is our fourth co-presentation with Kitchen Theatre Company in Ithaca.
Before you see the show, here are some fast facts about Laura Eason, author of Sex With Strangers and one of the hottest American playwrights on the scene right now:
- Eason currently lives in Brooklyn, NY, though she grew up in Evanston, IL, and maintains strong professional connections in Chicago.
- She is an Ensemble Member and the former Artistic Director of Lookingglass Theatre in Chicago, winner of the 2011 Regional Tony Award.
- Eason is an Affiliated Artist of the Obie-winning New Georges and an alumna of the WP Theater Playwright’s Lab.
- Eason is also a writer for the Netflix series House of Cards.
- Other plays/musicals include: Around the World in 80 Days, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, When the Messenger is Hot, The Undeniable Sound of Right Now, Ethan Frome, and In the Eye of the Beholder.
- Eason is a proud alumna of the Performance Studies Department of Northwestern University.
- When she’s not writing, Eason is also a director and an actor. And, in a past life, she was a singer/songwriter/bass player for a Chicago band called Tart.
And, here are some fun facts about Sex With Strangers:
- Sex With Strangers was one of the most-produced plays across the US in both the 2016-17 and 2015-16
- Sex With Strangers was first developed at Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago, then had its world premiere there in January 2011. The play moved to Australia’s Sydney Theatre Company in September 2012 before making its NYC premiere in July 2014 at Second Stage Theatre.
- David Schwimmer, best known as Ross from Friends, directed the NYC premiere at Second Stage. He and Eason are both long-time Ensemble Members at Lookingglass Theatre.